The fountain of youth… everyone is in search of it! What you may not realize is that part of the fountain of youth is found at your local grocery store. I say ‘part of’ because the other part is found in your activities and exercise. Proper eating and exercise will add years to your life and life to your years. There are many foods that you may not consider, but hands-down they are some of the best antiaging foods around.
1. Avocado (actually a fruit—did you know?) was reported in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry to contain enough lutein to stop cancer growth in a lab experiment. This alone is a good reason to add avocado to your salads. Yes, they contain fat but offer the good fats.
2. Figs – contain more polyphenols than tea or red wine. Loaded with iron which helps to chase away anemia and fatigue.
3. Acai Berry – Offers an insane amount of antioxidants which assist is keeping us healthy and young looking.
4. French lentils – High in fiber and they are great if you are looking for a meat substitute. They assist in regulating blood sugar.
5. Arctic char – similar to Salmon, but milder in taste. A high protein that is packed with Omega-3 fatty acids. Great for prevention of cancers.
6. Guava – A fruit that is a great source of potassium which keeps blood pressure in check. Also rich in antioxidants.
Get creative with your foods. Think about trying new things and incorporating them into your diet. You might be surprised when your taste buds beg for more. Think about eating a guava instead of a banana—both high in potassium. Or eat lentils instead of meat as your protein source. Eating doesn’t have to be mundane and when you eat properly you will feel and look younger.