Most of us travel somewhere during the summer months whether it’s by plane, train, or automobile. And while vacations are fun – the travel part can put a damper on your healthy eating. SO – here are a few tips so you can be more intentional during travel days! My number one go to tip – pack your bags with snacks – lots of healthy snacks from my go-to-list below!
- Trail mix – make your own with raw nuts, seeds, and dried fruit – I like to use apricots or cranberries.
- Make individual baggies of sugar snap peas, baby carrots, celery, and cucumber slices.
- ALWAYS have a BPA free water bottle with you. You may find that your hunger is actually thirst. So drink often.
- Take sliced apples, strawberries, blueberries, and cherries.
- A banana – is always a good grab-and-go, out-the-door and eat in the car kind of item
- Take 3-4 individual jars pre-made with dried oatmeal, dried fruit, cinnamon, chia seeds and walnuts. This is a great way to ensure a healthy breakfast is always available. Just add hot water and steep.
Besides packing healthy snacks be sure to also plan healthy meals. Cook if you can or instead of a restaurant stop by a grocery store for a healthy salad and have dinner outdoors. Another tip – I will find the nearest Whole Foods or health food grocery store in the area and buy things like raw spinach and eat by the handfuls. No, it’s not real glamorous but it works. 🙂
Those are just a few ideas…but if you plan ahead then you won’t be tempted to pull into a gas station or go through a drive through to grab something that you would regret later. Preparation is the name of the game. Prepare to win the battle over those sneaky vacation temptations.