One of the biggest complaints I receive, especially in this economy, is that eating healthy is more expensive. I disagree! There are many healthy foods at the grocery store that you can find under a dollar… you just need to know where to look.
1. Sweet potatoes – a great source of fiber, vitamin A and C and they cost only 50 to 60 cents each.
2. Eggs – one of the best sources of protein and they are only about 16 to 20 cents each. I like to boil a dozen or more at the time and eat them as snacks or put them in salads. They are easy to make and very nutritious.
3. Bean Soup – This is another great source of protein. Buy the 15-19 bean soup in a bag and it only costs around 10 cents a serving. The bag should provide close to 10-12 meals. I give this two thumbs up on value and nutrients for your dollar.
4. Frozen Spinach – A great source of vitamin K. It’s only about 45 cents for a 1/2 cup. Frozen spinach is just as flavorful and rich in vitamins as fresh spinach, the only difference is that the price tag is better. Add to pasta dishes or eggs to add color, flavor, and nutrients.
5. Tuna (in spring water) – is less than a dollar and makes a great snack or lunch item.
It’s important to get creative during times of conscious spending. There are MANY healthy ways to eat on a budget. If you are drawn to unhealthy foods due to their price point, then you will be guaranteed to pay the difference in healthcare costs in the future. Pay attention to how you fuel your body. It’s the only body you will ever receive!